Frequently Asked Questions
What is 211?
211 Maryland is a simple, memorable phone number for Marylanders to connect with essential resources throughout the state. It’s a free and confidential service that enables individuals with unmet needs a one-stop access point instead of having to navigate through the sometimes-confusing maze of health and human service agency phone numbers, websites and community resources.
English and Spanish-speaking resources are available 24/7/365. Translation is available in 150+ languages.
211 Maryland is managed by the Maryland Information Network, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.
What's the difference between 211, and 211 Press 1?
211 Maryland connects Marylanders with unmet needs to essential health and human resources.
211, Press 1 provides immediate access to a trained specialist in suicide prevention, opioid crisis intervention and mental health assistance.
How do I access 211 Maryland Resources?
Connect 24/7/365 with 211 by:
It’s a FREE and confidential community resource that’s available to everyone in Maryland. Text and data messaging services may apply.
What is 211 Maryland's phone number?
Contact 211 by dialing 2-1-1. Specialists are available 24/7/365.
When can I call 2-1-1?
211 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
How Can 211 Maryland Help Me?
Empathetic Information and Referral Specialists understand it can be challenging to navigate the sometimes-confusing maze of health and human resources. They’ll use your ZIP code to search our up-to-date resource database of over 7,000 agencies and services. We’ll connect you to the best organizations and services near you, and answer questions on the following unmet needs:
- Housing and shelter
- Emergency shelter
- Utility assistance
- Financial assistance
- Mental health
- Substance abuse
- Suicide and crisis intervention
- COVID-19 testing
- Children and families (child care, parenting support, supplies and clothing and school readiness)
- Aging and disability
- Legal services
- Tax prep information
- Domestic violence
By the end of the call you will be prepared to take action to get the help you need.
What Can I Expect When I Call?
- Dial 2-1-1.
- Press 1 if you need assistance with a mental health emergency or substance abuse intervention.
- A 211 specialist will listen to your concerns.
- The specialist will ask questions to identify your unmet needs.
- You’ll provide your location to help determine resources in your area.
- You can provide contact information if you’d like a follow-up call to offer additional resources.
- The call resource specialist connects you with resources.
All calls are confidential.
What If My Cell Phone Won’t Connect With 211 Maryland?
Most phones support dialing 2-1-1. If you have a problem, you can also call:
- Southern (Capital) Maryland: 1-866-770-1910
- Central Maryland: 1-866-406-8156
- Eastern Shore: 1-866-231-7101
- Western Maryland: 1-866-411-6803
What If I Am Deaf Or Hard Of Hearing?
Call 7-1-1 to access 211 Maryland through Maryland Relay.
What Languages Are Available?
English and Spanish-speaking specialists are available, as well as translation in 150+ languages.
Can I Search For Resources Myself?
Yes! Our online database has over 7,000 statewide resources.
Search by keyword or your location. Go to search.211MD.org to start your search today.
How Can I Get Ongoing Support?
211 Maryland offers ongoing text message support in English and Spanish. Sign up by texting any of these keywords to 898-211 (TXT211).
- Mental wellness: MDMindHealth | MDSaludMental
- Teen mental health: MDYoungMinds
- Kinship: MDKinCares
- Hate crimes and incidents: MDStopHate
- Aging and disabilities: MDAging
- Opioid support: MDHope
- Wellness: MDWellness
- Veterans: MDCom2Vets
Sign up by texting any of these keywords to 211-631 (211MD1).
- Disaster preparedness: MDReady | MDListo
211 Maryland offers text message alert programs which provide region-specific resource information or provide disaster alerts. Text STOP to the same number to unsubscribe. Full SMS terms at https://211md.org/sms/ will also apply.