Unfortunately, there are no financial assistance programs specifically designed to help pay telephone bills that are past due. Your best option is to contact your phone company and ask to negotiate a payment plan.
There are several programs that provide free or low-cost cell phones with limited minutes and even texting. Visit the individual company web sites for information on how to apply. Assurance Wireless and Safelink Wireless are the largest free cell phone providers in Maryland. You are eligible if you receive benefits from any of these programs in Maryland:
- Electric Universal Service Program (EUSP)
- Food Stamps (SNAP)
- Maryland Energy Assistance Program (MEAP)
- Medical Assistance (MA)
- Public Assistance to Adults (PAA)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Temporary Cash Assistance (TCA)
- Temporary Disability Assistance Program (TDAP)
You may also qualify if your Total Household Income is at or under 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
Search the database for discounted telephone services or dial 2-1-1 for more information.