Are you trying to find a way to pay your heating bill so you can stay warm during the winter months? You’re not alone. More than 100-thousand Maryland households get help every year with their utility bills, including heat.
Emergency Help With A Heating Bill
There are a number of options for eligible households:
- Grant from the Office of Home Energy Programs (OHEP)
- Fuel Fund
- Turn-off protection during the winter
- Help from local charities or faith-based organizations
- Weatherization programs
So, how do you find the best help for your situation?
- Call 2-1-1. Our empathetic resource specialists can connect you.
- Search our database for “Fuel Assistance” and “Utility Assistance” to find state grants and local organizations willing to help with heating bills.
- Learn about the heating assistance programs available in Maryland.
Now, that you know where to look for help, we’ll identify and detail the qualifications for a few of the popular programs. If you’re ready to apply for help, follow this step-by-step guide so you avoid common mistakes and get help quickly.
I Need Help With My Heating Bill
Income-eligible Maryland households may qualify for heating help from the Office of Home Energy Programs. You do not need a turn-off notice to receive funding.
There are a number of grants available through OHEP to make utility bills more affordable so you can stay warm during the winter.
The Maryland Energy Assistance Program or MEAP is an income-based program that offers help with heating bills. The OHEP grant pays your fuel supplier or utility on your behalf.
During the winter, families are protected from having their heat turned off through the Utility Service Protection Program or USPP. All MEAP eligible customers are offered this protection.
If you have electric heat in your home, the Maryland Office of People’s Counsel, recommends you select both MEAP and EUSP on the home energy assistance application. They put together an informational video so you know what to expect when it’s time to fill out the energy assistance application for help with your heating bill.